Last Updated on August 1, 2021 by srikanta
You may be familiar with the ongoing situation between Israel and Palestine which is taking the shape of a war now. All this started on 6th May when Palestinians started protesting in Jerusalem against the Israeli Supreme Court Order for evicting four Palestinian families from a neighbour hood of East Jerusalem, the protest became violent and one thing led to another. Finally, on 10th May two Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad fired rockets into Israel from Gaza strip. After this attack Israel also attacked some buildings at Gaza, and has killed some senior Hamas officials. According to Saurces till now Palestinian militant has fired more than 1500 rockets on lsrael and Israel has also carried out hundreds of air strikes on Gaza. Since this started around 122 palestinians have been killed including 31 children and 7 Israelis have been killed including 1 child, while thousands of people from both the sides have been reeported injured.
So what is history Behind all this war? To get the answer read this blog.
- The conflict between Israel and Palestine has been going on because two groups of people (religious) who claims the same land.
- It started from early 20th century. At that time the region along the eastern Mediterranean (which we now call Israel – Palestine) had been under the Ottoman role for centuries.
- It was religiously diverse where Muslims, Christians and small number of jewish were in peace.
- This scenario was changing in two ways. 1st – More people in the region were developing a sense of being not just ethnic Arabs but Palestinians. 2nd– At the same time, in Europe, more Jews were joining a movement called Zionism, according to which they deserved a nation.
- After many Prosecution, people believed that Jewish state was their only way of safety and established it in the middle East. In 1st decades of 20th century, thousands of Eureopean Jews moved there.
- After World War – I, British and French Empire took over the Ottoman Empire in the the Middle East. Britain took control over a region; called British Mandate for Palestine.
- Initially British allowed jewish immigration, which resulted in increased tension between Jews and Arabs and by 1930 British Limited the jewish immigration.
- Against this Jewish Militant was formed to fight both local Arabs and to resist British Rule. Then the Holocaust came during which many more Jews fleed to Europe for British Palestine.
- As the conflicts grew more between Jews and Arabs, the United Nation (UN) approved a plan to divide British Palestine into 2 different state in 1947 i.e. One for Jews (Israel) and One for Arab (Palestine). Jerusalem was declared a special international zone where Muslims, Jews and Arab are having holy site.
- This plan was accepted by Jews and they declared Israel independent but many Arab states declared war on Israel to establish a united Arab Palestine
- In June 1948 Arab armies invaded Isreal but Israel won the war finally in July 1948 and in the process they pushed their border further and took the western half of Jerusalem and many land that was of palestine.
- Israel army expelled huge numbers of palestine people from their home which created a massive population of refugee. At the end of the war Israel controlled all the other territory except for Gaza (which is controlled by Egypt) and West bank (which is controlled by Jordan).
This was the real begining of arab-israeli conflict we see today.
- But in 1967, Israel and neighbouring Arab state fought another war and in the end Israel seized the Golan Heights from Syria, the west bank from Jordan and Gaza & Sinai Peninsula from Egypt.
- Thus, Now Israel was governing majority of Palestinian. In 1978, Israel and Egypt signed U.S. brokered Camp David Accords. After that Israel gave back Sinai to Egypt as a part of peace treaty. Egypt’s president Anwar Sadat was killed because of the outrage against it.
- Even if the other arab states did not sign any formal peace treaty, they were in peace with Israel. But Israeli army kept capturing Gaza and West bank areas.
- Palestinian Liberation Organization(PLO) formed in 1960’s fought against Israeli army through acts of terrorism also. PLO and Israel fought for years, but later PLO said that it would accept dividing the land between Israel and Palestine but the conflict continued.
- During this period in the Israel occupied Palestinian Territories Raley’s Were moving in (also called the Settlers) and made their home in West Bank in Gaza because of religious reasons, for claiming the land for Israel, because the housing was cheap. Some settlers were guarded by Soldiers.
- This increase in Settlers forced the palestinian off of their land and their community was divided. But in late 1980s Palestinian fraustration exploded into the INTIFADA (Arabic word for Uprising)
- which began with Preotest and Boycotts but became violent. In this 1st Intifada Couple of hundreds of Israelis and thousands of Palestinian died. At the same time a group of Palestinian in Gaza considered the PLO secular, compromised and created a violent extremist group dedicated for Israel’s destruction called as HAMAS.
- In 1993, the leaders from Isreael and Palestine signed the Oslo Accords, which was meant for establishing independent Palestine Some day.
- Oslo Accords established the Palestinian Authority, allowing Palestinians to govern themselves in certain areas. But many opposed this Accords.
- Hamas Members launched suicide bombings against this, and the Israeli people protest it by calling their Prime minister Yitzhak Ravine a traitor and Nazi. Later he was shoot dead in Tel Aviv.
- The conflicts continued on either side and a big camp David Summit in the year 2000 went invain.
- Palestinian brought up the second Intifada which was bigger than the 1st. In this thousand of Israelis and 3200 Palestinians were died.
- The 2nd Intifada changed the conflict and lsraeli became sure that Palestinian are never going to accept peace. So they built walls and checkpoints to control Palestinian movements.
- In the year 2005 Israel withdrawn from Gaza. Hamas gained power but splitted from Palestinian Authority in a short civil war which divided Gaza from west bank.
Israeli puts Gaza under a suffocating blockade and Unemployment is rising rapidly there. In the west bank region people are protesting almost every day and it is resulting into violence sometime. In Gaza, Hamas and other groups are having periodic war with Israel like the War going on now. Also in Israel, the people are apathetic and employment is vanishing due to this conflict and violence.
To stabilize this, UN is working Day and night but no one knows the outcome, and things may become worse in future.
Can you suggest some of your view on this to resolve this situation????? Please comment in below. Thank you.