Last Updated on August 16, 2021 by srikanta
Though the America we know today emerged as an independent country in 1776 and recognized in 1783; very few of us know about it’s history. US is today the most powerful and most developed country in the world. Would you like to know how civilization started here, then read the post below and enhance your knowledge about history of America.
Period of Paleo Americans
- According to theories the Native American migrated from Eurasia (Europe + Asia) about 30,000 years ago.
- They used the land bridge called Beringia for the purpose of migration which got submerged due to rise in ocean water about 10,000 years ago.
- They were called as Paleo Americans who developed some interesting culture of their own namely i) ADENA CULTURE ii) IROQUOIS CULTURE iii) COLES CREEK CULTURE iv) PUEBLOAN CULTURE v) MISSISSIPPIAN CULTURE
Period from Discovery to Independence
- In 1492, Italian Explorer, Christopher Columbus first discovered it and during this 15th Century European civilization established in USA.
- Spaniards built their empire in islands like Cuba, Puerto Rico and Hispaniola and expanded their bases.
- France built their colonies in eastern North America and in small coastal part of South America.
- Portugal Colonized Brazil.
- England or English people settled on the eastern sea coast along with Dutch and Swedes people.
- 1st Successful English town was named as James town in 1607 on the bank of James river in Virginia.
- There were a total of 13 American Colonies in 17th century by England in US.
- In 18th Century these colonies were growing rapidly which resulted in more and more immigrants to this soil.
- Also due to growing business of Tobacco and Rice plantation more number of slaves were imported from Africa, as labourers.
- Thus by 1770; 1/5th of America’s population were the African.
- Britain and France had a war where France lost their colonies in Canada and Louisiana. The war was costly so to recover the money Britain parliament passed the stamp Act of 1765.
- This act was refused by many Americans and revolution was started against British govt. in Late 1960’s and early 1770’s.
- Boston Tea party in 1773 was marked as the start of Revolution as they refused to pay taxes for tea in Boston city.
- To control this British govt. imposed it’s Army rule system on Boston, which sparked the outrage in all 13 colonies.
- So the leaders from all 13 Colonies gathered and made the 1st Continental Congress to coordinate their resistance.
- They started to boycott the British trade. But this movement had no effect on independence of US.
- In 1775 second continental Congress was created to defend the 13 colonies against British Army.Thus a rebellion was started and they proclaimed their independence in 1776 as the United States of America.
- American Revolutionary war was from 1775 to 1783 between which in 1777, the Americans captured British Invasion army of Saratoga.
- They secured the Northeast and made military alliance with French army.
- France along with itself brought in Spain and Netherlands for the alliance, which made the military and Naval forces of USA more stronger against British Force.
- General George Washington was the person who onganized and worked successfully with Congress and State Governors to train the troops, and maintain an idealistic Republican Army.
- This Revolution was a success and in 1783, USA was declared independent.
Post Independence Period
- United State President Thomas Jefferson bought the Louisiana territory from france in 1803 for 15 million US dollars.
- In 1845 Texas joined USA and by defeating the Mexican Empire in the mid 19th century they took important lands.
- In 1861 during the presidency of Abraham Lincoln some state from south “The Confederation” attacked the rest. This Was due to the enslavement of black people.(Abraham Lincoln was the 1st president to ban Slavery in all territory).
- In April 1861 war broke out when Secessionist forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina and after 4 year of war confederates were defeated. Thus national unity was restored.
- In 1898, the American – Spanish war was happening. And at the Treaty of Paris, US was getting Philippines, Puerto Rico, and Guam.
- In the start of 20th century, World War-I occured. Though initially USA was neutral, due to come situation it joined the Allies later.
- Till this time economy was growing good but the Great Depression started in 1929 which created the base for second World War.
- USA joined Allies after being attacked at Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941 by Japanese.
- The war ended in 1945 when Germany get capitulated in May and Japan in September after the nuclear attacks at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
- After this War USA and Soviet Union emerged as rival superpowers and this period is known as Cold War.
- In 1960s waves of civil rights movement started which gave rights of voting and freedom of movement to African American and other racial minorities.
- In 2001 september 11th Al – qaeda attacked at the World Trade Center at New York which shook the whole world.
- Later America was in war against Afghanistan and Iraq from 2003.
- Again in 2008 USA had it’s worst Economic Crisis since the Great Depression.
- USA witnessed its 1st Black president Barack Obama elected on 2009. He served the country from 2009 to 2017 and USA made friendships with many country during his presidency.
- Now in 2021, Joe Biden is the President of USA and Kamala Harris is the Vice – president.
USA is touching all the heights now-a-days and all the big economically strong, companies are now in USA which are controlling the World economy.
This was a brief history of America. Hope you liked it. To stay updated like our FACEBOOK PAGE.