A disease is declared as Pandemic when it is occuring world wide or over very wide range of area, which can cross the international boundaries and affects a large number of people.
Till now almost everyone in this planet knows what a pandemic can do to our society, how it can change our Life style, and how it can control you irrespective of wheather you are a billionaire or a begger.
This generation have got the bitter taste of pandemic in the form of COVID – 19, but are you aware about the complete list of Pandemics which occured since 1900.
Here is the list of all the pandemics since 1900.
SPANISH FLU OR 1918 FLU
The first disease in the list of pandemics since 1900 is Spanish Flu.
- It was one of the worst pandemic in the history. Arround 50 million people were killed due to this out break.
- The epidemic was 1st identified in Spain.
- Unlike other nations Spain did not restricted it’s press from publishing the early accounts of this disease in it’s country. Therefore people falsely believed that this disease started in Spain and named it as Spanish Flu.
- It was caused by an Influenza -A virus known as H1N1.
- At that time there was no vaccines or antibiotics present hence the controlling of this was done mainly by the help of isolation, quarantine, maintainance of personal hygiene, use of disinfectants and Limiting social gatherings.
- It came to an end by 1919.
- At first it was identified in February 1957 in china.
- It was caused by Influenza-A subtype H2N2 or Asian Flu Virus.
- Then it was spreaded to USA by June 1957 where it killed 70,000 people. It took over 2 million life world wide.
- It was controlled due to development of vaccines and rapid availability of antibiotics.
HONG KONG FLU
- It was originated in china in july 1968 and lasted till 1970.
- It was caused by Influenza-A subtype H3N2 or Hong kong Flu Virus.
- A vaccine was developed against it but till that time it had reached the peak in many countries.
- It took life of about 2 to 4 million people.
HIV (Human Immuno Deficiency Virus)
- A group of scientists identified the source of this virus in a type of chimpanzee in West Africa.
- It came to USA in 1970’s but was identified by doctors in 1980’s.
- Since 1970’s, 75 million people have been infected and 32 million have been died.
- AIDS (Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome) is the final stage of HIV Infection.
- It still exist in our society but it has become a manageable chronic health condition which allows people living with HIV to lead long and healthy lives.
- There are still no proper cure developed against HIV.
SARS (severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome)
- It was 1st appeared in November 2002 in china.
- This is caused by a Corona virus known as SARS Corcona virus or SARS COV.
- It is a highly contagious respiratory illness with headache, fever, bodily discomfort and dry cough.
- WHO has reported 8096 cases and 774 deaths due to this.
- No specific medication has yet been developed against this disease. SARS patient is advised to remain isolated or quarantined to avoid spreading it to others.
- This was the 1st major influenza out break of 21st century. It is also caused by H1N1 virus.
- It spreaded very quickly across the globe as compared to other previous viral outbreak.
- The 1st case was detected in April 2009 in USA.
- It was called Swine flu because its gene segments were similar to influenza viruses that were identified in pig or swine.
- Vaccines and antiviral medicines have been developed against it to prevent or treat Swine Flu.
MERS (Middle Age Respiratory Syndrome)
- This is an acute viral respiratory illness.
- It was 1st observed in June 2012 in Saudi Arabia and then spreaded to 25 countries across the world.
- It is caused by a Corona virus called MERS – COV which attacks the respiratory system.
- There are still no vaccine available for this disease also.
- It was the out break of West Africa in 2014 which lasted for 2 years.
- It was noted for its unprecedented magnitude. According to the report it killed around 12000 people.
- It was caused by ZAIRE Ebola virus also known EBOV as which is the most deadliest among all Ebola virus.
- There are still no vaccines eleveloped against it.
So, this is the list of Pandemics which had shaken human population since 1900. But the Covid-19 has just crossed all the height as millions of people has already died from this and the number is increasing every day. Vaccines have been developed for this but social distancing, mask and quarantine are still the basics to avoid it.
Stay safe and stay Healthy.